Today's Featured Artist- Pat Kirtley


A Kentucky-born guitarist who learned the instrument at an early age via the Atkins/Travis/Doc Watson heritage, Pat Kirtley admits to having been hard-bitten by the Irish music bug in the late 1980's after hearing guitarist John McCormick playing Celtic tunes in DADGAD tuning. He began exploring that tuning, and channeling significant creative energy into arranging Irish fiddle tunes and airs. "I am as fascinated by the fabulous wealth of musicality represented in the Irish folk-tradition as I am by the fact that I went through most of my musical life being totally ignorant of its existence," Pat remarks. The results of that work are represented in his body of work by arrangements of "Planxty Irwin" (in DADEAD tuning), the set dance "Rodney's Glory," and airs "Moran's Return" and "The South Wind," all appearing on his 1997 album Irish Guitar.
Bio via Mel Bay

Pat Kirtley on the Web
Pat Kirtley MySpace
Pat Kirtley Wikipedia Bio
The Blarney Pilgrim on DVD

Celtic Fingerstyle Guitar: Moran's Return and South Wind


Encore: Pat Kirkley & Tommy Emmanuel> Steel Guitar Stomp